By its name is believed to be sponsored by the prestigious American Mayo Clinic, but not, since that entity has denied being linked to this regime and has advised on numerous occasions, as some call it false Clinic diet Mayo.
The Clinic diet is also characterized by being low in carbohydrates and fats. It consumes 600 to 900 calories daily.
The biggest advantage of this regime is the rapid weight loss, promising lower 6 to 7 kilos in 14 days. However, many of them are due to the large loss of fluids occurs.
The forbidden foods in the diet of the Mayo Clinic are: bread, pasta, alcoholic beverages and dairy products.
The egg is the main food of the diet, since they consume 4 to 6 eggs a day. Furthermore, the menu consists of meat, poultry, fish, vegetables, whole grains, fruits and nuts, although there are many restrictions on them. The only drinks allowed are tea and coffee.
The greater weight loss is achieved in the first week, allowing lower 2.5 to 4 kilos, while the second is lost between half and 1 kilo.
It is recommended to follow the diet of the Mayo Clinic at least a week and a maximum of one month.
Disadvantages of the Mayo Clinic Diet
• As an energy restricted diet is hazardous to health because it does not provide all the essential nutrients the body.
• Deficiency of calcium can cause osteoporosis and hypertension.
• Its high protein content (more than double the recommended), you can overload the kidneys.
• The rapid burning of fat can produce pictures of ketosis and acidosis.
• Promotes loss of muscle mass and water
• High consumption of eggs, providing large amount of cholesterol (250 mg. Per egg), which can be harmful.
• Do not replace the right foods
• Do not eat any type of alcoholic beverage
• Do not eat anything between meals except coffee and tea
• Drink at least two liters of water a day
• Before starting this diet should consult their doctor